6 months free website + Join for holiday cash! BE A CONSULTANT
Organize Your Closet in 5 Easy Steps
TIME FOR A CLOSET REFRESH
Is your home feeling like a bit worse for wear after the holiday hustle? With the new year in full swing, now is the perfect time to tackle those spaces that need a little TLC—starting with the clothes closet. Organizing all those sweaters and runaway socks might seem daunting, but all it takes is a few simple steps to make your wardrobe (or any space!) work better for you in 2022.
Start by taking everything (yes, everything!) out of your closet. Place clothes, shoes, and accessories (plus any random items you find, like linens or books) somewhere you’ll have space to sort through them later. Removing everything helps you take stock of the clothes you own, including items you might have forgotten about.
Once everything is out, it’s time to clean. Wipe down shelves and drawers and use a broom or vacuum to sweep the floor. Most vacuums have a wand attachment that’s especially handy for reaching dusty corners, high and low. Giving your closet a quick clean now will create the perfect blank slate for organizing later.
Next, sort through everything you’ve removed from your closet and decide what will go back in. For each item, ask yourself a few key questions to determine whether you’ll keep it, throw it away, or give it a second life by donating, selling or gifting it to someone else.
- How often do I wear or use this item?
- Does it fit me?
- Is it in good condition? (No fraying, holes, stains or stretching)
- Does it match my personal style?
- Does it pair well with other items in my closet?
- Is it practical for my climate and lifestyle?
- Does it belong in my closet, or should it move to another space in my home?
Now that you’ve decided which clothes you’re keeping, it’s time to put them back in your closet. Think about whether you prefer clothes to be arranged by color, style, fabric, or occasion. Grouping similar pieces together can make it easier to find what you’re looking for when getting dressed, so choose the system that works best for you!
Here are a few tips to keep in mind while you’re organizing:
- Folding vs hanging – Some items (like blouses and dresses) are better hung, while others (like sweaters) should be folded. Folding also allows you to fit more into a smaller space.
- Utilize bins – Storage bins, cubes and organizers can help you make the most of every inch of closet space. Be sure to measure your shelves to determine the shape, size and number of bins you’ll need for maximum storage.
Repeat these steps every six months to keep your closet clean and clutter-free year-round! These refreshes are also the perfect time to swap out seasonal clothes, putting the pieces you won’t be wearing as often into storage and moving others within easy reach.
TODAY, THE CLOSET. TOMORROW...
The new year is a time for fresh starts, clean slates and new goals. Whether you’ve resolved to tidy up one closet or organize the whole house, the key is getting started and taking it one step at a time. You’ve got this!
Products shown are from Fall 2021 season, available from September 1, 2021 – February 28, 2022. For more information about product availability, contact your Consultant or go to mythirtyone.com.